Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection
Carpenter ants, Moisture ants, Dampwood termites, wood-boring beetles, wood-destroying fungi and other wood-destroying organisms may cause significant structural damage to a home. These conditions and infestations are often not readily visible and a homeowner may go for years without being aware of the issue. A typical homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover destruction caused by wood-destroying organisms, even though they cause over 1 billion dollars in damage to homes throughout the United States each year.
As a licensed Structural Pest Inspector (SPI), we thoroughly inspect the home, looking for the signs of damage and infestation. Some of the things we look for are:
- Sawdust piles from ants and beetles
- Nesting materials in the framing and sub-floor insulation
- Conducive conditions leading to damage and insect infestations
- Damaged or hollow-sounding wood members
- Exit holes from wood-boring beetles and ants
- Shredded floor insulation from ant activity
- Mud galleries from Moisture ants
Also, a full inspection is performed looking for evidence of rodent/vermin activity in the home also. Rats and Mice can do significant damage to houses and their components, and it may be very costly, as well as, as a health safety issue. This service is provided with the home inspection process.